Remember when mom told you not to waste your food? She was way ahead of her time.
As a grocery retailer that sells perishables items, you know the complexities involved in managing products with a short shelf life. You’ve made it your business to reduce waste and spoilage throughout the supply chain. But now, with the USDA Food and Inspection Service (FSIS) In-House Grinding Law, the complexities (and, potentially, the waste) have become greater – albeit for a good reason. We all want to ensure the highest standards of food safety.
To recap, the law requires in-house beef grinders to keep complete records of every single batch. This process includes:
- Recording all supplier numbers and production dates.
- Disclosing the establishment numbers of the establishments supplying the materials used to supply used to prepare each lot of raw beef product.
- Recording the date and time each lot of raw ground beef is produced.
Many retailers are taking steps to stay compliant with this convoluted ruling. Steps such as:
- Adding electronic recordkeeping.
- Changing recordkeeping systems or implementing completely new ones.
- Adding detail to recordkeeping systems.
- Modifying SOPs.
- Changing grinding practices altogether – such as no longer grinding bench trim or custom grinds.
Dizzy yet? The complexity of in-house grinding is very real, which is why some retailers are taking the step of eliminating grinding altogether. If that’s the approach your organization plans to take, a simple solution exists – sourcing meat that’s ready-to-go directly to your store’s shelves. Enter Reusable Plastic Containers (RPCs) from Tosca. Tosca created the first RPC specifically designed for the meat industry. Not only do RPCs provide a simpler solution to ensure the delivery of high-quality meat to your customers, they provide other benefits as well, including:
- Superior product protection against crushing, moisture, and mishandling.
- Greater supply chain efficiencies when the meat is received in distribution centers, transported to stores and managed in the cooler.
- Exceptional service, with 14 wash centers nationwide providing support at each and every step in the process.
- No packaging waste which means nothing to manage or throw away
If you’re anything like us, you love a challenge. Don’t feel overwhelmed – download our simple guide to implementing RPCs in your operations and see how simple it is to streamline your process.